T.I.P.S.

Tuesday, February 15, 2005

The Nice Tourist

“You know me. I’m a nice tourist. I never complain, no matter what kind of service I get.”

“I’ll go in a restaurant and sit and sit while the waitress gossips with her boyfriend and never bothers to see if my hamburger is ready. Sometimes someone who came in after I did gets my hamburger, but I don’t say a word.”

“If the soup is cold or the cream for the coffee is sour, I’m nice about it.”

“If the service station attendant fails to check my oil or polish the windshield, I don’t even raise my eyebrows.”

“When I go into a store and get surly treatment and lack of sympathy with my browsing around. I don’t make a fuss.”

“When I register at a motel or hotel, I’m thoughtful of the other person. If I get a snooty manager who gets nestled because I want to look at my room before making up my mind, I’m polite as can be. I don’t believe rudeness in return is the answer. You might say I wasn’t raised that way.”

“ And it’s seldom I complain about the poor room service, the broken- down elevator, the leaking bathtub faucet or the television set that doesn’t work. I’ve found that people are always disagreeable to me when I do. Life’s to short for indulging in these unpleasant little scrimmages.”

“I never kick. I never nag. I never criticize. I wouldn’t dream of making a scene, as I’ve seen other people do in public places.”

“I’m a nice tourist! I’ll tell you what else I am: I’M THE TOURIST THAT NEVER COMES BACK!”

“That’s my revenge for getting pushed around. That’s why I take whatever they hand out…I know I’m not coming back. It’s true that this doesn’t relieve my feelings right off, but in the long run, it’s a far more deadly revenge.”

“In fact, a nice tourist like me, multiplied by others of my kind, can just about ruin your business. And there are lots of nice tourists in the world. When we get pushed far enough, we go down the street to another restaurant. We eat hamburgers in places that are smart enough to hire help who appreciate nice tourists. Together we do the rude people out of millions of dollars every year.”

“The one who laughs best, they say, is the one who laughs last. I laugh when I see places frantically spending their money just to get me back, when they could have held me in the first place, with a few kind words and a smile.”



Courtesy of the Canadian Tourist Association
and Michigan State University
www.msue.msu.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home