T.I.P.S.

Monday, June 13, 2005

T.I.P.S. 101** Why Excellent Service?

Why Excellent Service?
By Gil C. Schmidt


Okay, this might seem waaaay too obvious, but I’ll ask it anyway: Why provide excellent service?

I’m not trying to be cute here. I’m trying to get down to the basic issue of service as a means of success. On that basis, such a simple question proves a challenge to answer. Go ahead: try. You’ll see what I mean.

I’ve come up with three basic reasons why one should seek to provide excellent service:

• Satisfaction: When one helps another person and does it well, even if its simply “part of my job,” the end result is inevitably satisfaction. In fact, both parties in the transaction are satisfied, even though sometimes neither party really notices. I once spoke to an umpire and I asked him how he knew he’d done a good job in a game. “When nobody notices me,” he replied quickly and with confidence. That night be your standard, too: quiet excellence.
• Pride: Closely allied to satisfaction, but deeper, is the feeling of pride that suffuses you when you know you have done excellent work. Often triggered by compliments and thus in danger of becoming vanity (the true Deadly Sin, as Pride is as natural as Love), pride comes from one’s own evaluation, not that of others. That sense of pride also has a way of becoming a glow, as you can confirm by remembering the last person who gave you extraordinary service: they almost certainly would be someone you would describe as “taking pride in their work.”
• Karma: No, I’m not going all fuzzy on you. Whether you believe in the concept of karma or not, it is very hard to argue against ancient wisdom, as enclosed in “Do unto others as you would have them do unto you”; “As you sow, so shall you reap” and “What goes around comes around.” Almost from the birth of recorded history, mankind has made it clear that service is an exchange, a compact of give-and-take. Therefore, give excellence, for it is the only way you will ever be assured of receiving it.

Maybe you have other basic reasons that expand on my own. I’d love to hear them. After all, it’s just another form of give-and-take, right?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home